Thursday, August 28, 2014

An Interesting Scene

Alright... So, I meant to post yesterday, but I got distracted... Kind of like last week, so at least I'm consistent, right? Anyways, I was having trouble picking a scene for Darvel because I'm pretty sure I've already posted most of my favorite scenes with him. So I decided that this time I'm posting a scene that I like because it kind of shows me that Darvel never changes. He's not exactly the center of attention all throughout the scene, (and as far as I know, I've never posted this one...) So I'll start by giving a very small explanation of the characters that you probably don't know about.

Corin: You might know about him, but... He's a doctor who at one point help Dawn and Quest break Bryin out of a dungeon. Since then he's appeared in different places and at the moment (meaning during the fourth book) he, Dawn, and Quest are gathering information about people who were attacking their kingdom.

Calix: He's a pirate. Hayrig, the captain of the crew, met Bryin and the rest (because I'm too lazy to list everyone else...) and agreed to sail them to the kingdom suspected of attacking them. Along the way Calix talked a lot with Bryin, and they became friends.

Kylee: Kylee is the queen of a kingdom currently in war with the 'evil' kingdom. Terrible description, I know. But that's what I'm sticking with.

So, that should be everyone... And finally here's the scene.


“Fine. Fine…” Darvel said, relaxing back in his bed. “Do it your way. But I’ll have you know, I’ll starve to prove my point. Are you prepared to deal with that?”
            “I don’t know, Darvel.” Corin said, shaking his head. “I have to go down to the throne room, otherwise I would find out right now. But here’s an idea, you haven’t been out of the room for a while, how about you head down to the meeting with me?”
            Darvel took a moment to think about it, then swung his legs off the bed.
            “Fine. Whatever. I’ll do it if it means I get to leave this stupid room, but have fun dragging me back in here.” Darvel started to walk out the door, and Corin studied his back meticulously. It was covered in long cuts from a knife, or Corin guessed that’s what had made them.
            Probably tried torture and when it didn’t work reverted to the drugs… Corin shook his head and followed after Darvel, thankful he didn’t see any signs of infection in the boy’s wounds.
            “Darvel, are you sure you don’t want to put a shirt on first? I would feel better about your back if you did… An infection would be a painful thing.”
            “It would make you feel better?” Darvel asked as he stopped. Even though he stopped, he didn’t turn to look at Corin as he spoke.
            “Yes, Darvel, it would. I am on your side after all. I’m only trying to help.”
            Darvel snorted at Corin and then continued to walk away.
            “Well, then. If it’s what you would want, I’m not doing it!” There was an obvious smile in Darvel’s voice, and Corin shook his head. He was starting to wonder if Darvel and Bryin were really two separate people, or if maybe they were truly one and the same.
            As Darvel walked, Corin hurried to catch up, especially after the realization that Darvel had absolutely no idea where he was going, even if he walked like he did.
            Once he managed to steer Darvel in the right direction, Darvel continued his fast pace until finally he barged into the throne room without waiting for anyone. Corin winced slightly as he knew it would please queen Kylee if they had been announced first, but now… There was nothing to do but go after Darvel.
            “Sorry, Queen Kylee.” Corin said, running a hand through his hair. “I tried to stop him, but—“
            “You didn’t try to stop me,” Darvel said with a scowl.
            “Yes, I did.” Corin said sounding out the words carefully. “Couldn’t you hear me calling you from down the hall?”
            “Oh, that’s what you were doing…” Darvel said, a grin slowly spreading over his face. “I thought you were yelling at yourself, so I tuned you out…”
            Kylee and Calix had been in a discussion, but now they watched Corin and Darvel with tilted heads.
            “You… You’re not Bryin…” Calix said, approaching Darvel almost cautiously.
            “Oh, glad you noticed. Don’t you just hate it when people mistake you for your older, better, twin brother?” Darvel asked sarcastically.
            “No, definitely not Bryin…” Calix mused to himself. “But I see Bryin did what he came here to do. And I knew he could.” Calix nodded to himself, allowing a small smile of pride to show. “Where is Bryin anyway?”
            Corin looked at the ground.
            “Calix, you haven’t heard yet?”
            “I wanted him to hear it from someone who had actually been there." Kylee said, nodding for Corin to go ahead.
            “Oh, well—“ Corin started before he was interrupted by Darvel.
            “He’s not here. Apparently the crazy people who had me got a hold of him, and now… Well, Corin here thinks poor Bryin doesn’t stand a chance… For all we know, Bryin is dead. Shall we have a moment of silence for him?”
            Calix clenched his fist, clearly annoyed by Darvel.
            “Look, kid. I don’t care that you’re Bryin’s brother. Never, ever, talk about him like that again, got it?”
            “Ooh, touchy.” Darvel yawned, now bored with the conversation.
            “Don’t you even care that he’s your brother?” Calix asked in disbelief.
            “Don’t you even care that I don’t even know who my brother is?” Darvel retorted. “I saw him one time, and he almost impaled me with a sword. Not exactly a great first impression in my book.”
            Calix looked confused, and Corin took the chance of the silence to get in between Calix and Darvel.
            “Darvel doesn't remember anything.” Corin explained. “He… Went through a lot while in the kingdom of Adesh, so don’t be so hard on him, alright?”
            “Oh no,” Davel said, pushing Corin aside. “Let him be hard on me. In fact, what will you do if I told you that I actually hate my brother? A part of me really hopes those people of Adesh kill him. From what I hear of him, it’ll do the world a big favor!”
            “Huh.” Quest said as he and Dawn entered the room. “I guess some things never change. You’re a real piece of work, Darvel. You know that?”
            “No, I don’t.” Darvel said, turning to glare in their direction. “But what I do know is that maybe when you and your girlfriend want to talk about someone, it’s best not to do it right in front of their room, huh? And maybe, juusst maybe, when you do go ahead and gossip about people, you shouldn't do it for the whole world to hear!”
            Quest blinked at Darvel.
            “I can’t believe Bryin saved you after everything you've done to him…”
            “Same here.” Darvel agreed. “But maybe that’s because I can’t remember anything!”
            “I also can’t believe that you still want your brother dead even after you've lost your memory. That’s ridiculous, and it tells me that people like you, they don’t change. They can’t.”
            Darvel just shook his head. He was done talking. He had reached the point where he just wanted to rip Quest’s head from his body and send it rolling across the floor. Clenching his fists, he launched himself at Quest, and Quest stood his ground.
            Luckily Corin had seen Darvel tense up, and before the two boys had a chance to even begin the fight, Corin grabbed Darvel and shoved him in the opposite direction.
            “That’s it!” Corin said, losing his usual calm manner. “Quest, you are out of line.”
            “But—”
            Corin held up a hand to stop Quest’s defensive argument.
            “No, no excuses.” Corin took a deep breath. “You absolutely cannot come barging in here mouthing off to every person who upsets you.”
            “It wasn’t every person! It was that—”
            “Quest!” Corin snapped before the name calling and fight could resume. “What kind of a king do you think you will make if this behavior continues? Trust me, it won’t be a very good one.”
            “Man…” Darvel muttered from the floor where he had fallen. “You sure expect people to trust you a lot, don’t you?”
            “And you!” Corin said, rounding on Darvel. “I will not tolerate this from you. At. All.”
            “Yeah?” Darvel asked in a challenging tone. He stood up and glared at Corin. “Well I certainly won’t tolerate you.
            Corin shook his head.
            “I don’t care Darvel. You can act big and tough, but you’re still a boy. And as of this moment I’m in charge and you’re going to listen to me whether you like it or not.”
            Darvel scowled. He opened his mouth to reply, but instead of saying something he moaned and grabbed his head.
            “Darvel…” Corin said worriedly. “Are you alright? Maybe we should take you back to your room and—”
            “I’m… F-f-fine.” Darvel growled. He stood as tall as he could, back straight. Slowly he dropped his hands to his sides, and if it weren’t for the pain evident on his face, he would have appeared fine.
            “No, Darvel.” Corin said softly. “I think it’s time for you to go back to the room to rest.” Turning to Quest, he frowned. “And because of your behavior, you can go back to your room until our meeting is done.”
            Quest’s face reddened. He was angry, and not just with Corin. He was also mad at Darvel. But taking a deep breath, Quest reigned in his temper.
            “Yes, Corin.” Quest said quietly. Then, without another word, he turned and stomped out.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Darvel, Darvel, Darvel . . . *sighs* You poor, foolish boy. I can't decide whether to be upset with you or sorry for you half the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Usually I'm the same way... Although, I might feel more sorry for him... Maybe. XD Yeah, I still haven't decided yet.

      Delete