Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Year Later

So, I haven't really been trying hard to think of a blog post, and my last one was sort of about me, but... Yeah.

Anyways, I completely forgot about this until I came across something that reminded me, but Bryin and Darvel's birthday is April 15th. I wasn't entirely sure about that until I went through my old posts, but reading that one got me thinking. In the book I'm currently working on, there's a bunch of drama taking place, and it's pretty hilarious actually, but things are changing quickly. Both Bryin and Darvel are getting to become totally different people than they were a year ago.

I'm pretty close to the ending of book five, and both the twins have hit an all time low, and it won't be until the ending of the sixth book, or beginning of the seventh book until they pull themselves together. (So, basically, this is going to be really fun for me to write, but that's a bit off topic...)

My point is, (I think I had one when I started typing...) with every book that ends, every year that goes by, it's really cool to see the changes in their character and how their circumstances affect them.

For example, the longer this book goes on, the more attached to Adela he's becoming. (I'll explain Adela later, if I haven't already.) It's really cute, and I can't believe how quickly he started to like her. Although they've spent a year together before this book that I didn't write about, but that's besides the point. And not only that, but he seems to be softening up a lot! I hadn't really expected it until after the seventh book at least, but of course my characters defy me once again.

And Bryin... Well, I'm not sure you want me to go into this as it's not exactly cute like Darvel's character change, but... Basically he's slowly going insane. Okay, he was always crazy before, but now something inside his mind has snapped (literally, but I'm not going to explain how). And now he's finding himself more easily irritated and pretty violent. (Sorta like Darvel... I think they might have switched when I wasn't looking...)

Anyways, that's pretty much been their year. Not in full details of course, seeing as I left out all the interesting stuff. ;) But I'm thinking it will be so cool to see where they are in another year!

Annnd, here's a cute story I felt like posting. (I'm not sure if I ever posted it on my thread before, or anything like that, but it's a cute scene.)
------------------
            Bryin looked around clutching a box he had wrapped himself. He had just gotten away from his family who had insisted on making a big deal out of his eighteenth birthday. But he didn’t want them to make a huge thing out of him “growing up” and he decided to leave since Darvel hadn’t even been there. It was his birthday too and everyone really wanted him there as well, but instead he had locked himself in his room to do who knew what.
            “Bryin,” Sage said, following behind him, “why are you going to find Darvel? From what I have seen of him, he does not want anything to do with you, and it is rather pointless to continue reaching out to him. It is only a waste of your time, and the rest of your family have realized that. Why have you not come to that conclusion as well?”
            “Because, Sage,” Bryin sighed, not bothering to slow down so that the seven year old could catch up. “He’s my brother and I’m never going to give up on him no matter what. And I certainly hope none of my family would give up on me, even when I’m being beyond difficult and mean.”
            “Alright. Whatever you wish to believe, you can, Bryin.” Sage said, deciding to let Bryin talk to Darvel alone. “But at least be wise in recognizing the signs of Darvel possibly being a lost cause.”
            “He’s not a lost cause!” Bryin called after Sage who was quickly disappearing on his way to the library, his favorite place in the castle.
            “Save you breath, Bryin.” Darvel muttered as the opened the door to his room. “You’re not convincing that kid of anything and you’re certainly not convincing yourself. Now what do you want?”
            Staring at Darvel, Bryin found himself somewhat amused by the fact that they were now eighteen, and Darvel was still an almost perfect mirror image of himself. Only, Darvel was much harder and angrier than he ever was.
            “Um, well, I wanted to bring you this,” Bryin said, smiling as he held out the box he was still holding. “It’s for my— or I mean, your birthday.” Bryin added when Darvel made no move to take the gift from Bryin.
            “Yeah, real thoughtful of you. Now leave me alone.” Darvel said as he turned around and moved to shut the door on Bryin.
            “Wait! Darvel, come on…” Bryin stuck his foot in the door to keep it from closing. “Please just open it…”
            “Yeah!” Said a happy little voice from somewhere in Darvel’s room. “You should be nice to your brother, Darvel! ‘Cus he told me he loves you lots, and I love you lots too, so it means we both want you to be happy!”
            “Katrina…” Darvel half groaned. “That’s not what he wants…”
            Even though Darvel clearly didn’t want him there, he left the door open for Bryin to let himself in.
            “Sorry if it doesn’t seem like I love you,” Bryin said, looking down at the present he brought for his brother. “But I really do love you. And that’s why I brought you this.”
            As Darvel sat down on his bed next to Katrina, Bryin placed the wrapped box on his lap. Darvel rolled his eyes and tried to appear annoyed when in all reality he was actually very curious to find out what Bryin had brought him.
            So, as unenthusiastically as he could, Darvel ripped the wrapping paper off of the box and took the lid off the box to reveal a leather bound book.
            “You… You got me a book?” Darvel asked, wrinkling his nose. “Seriously Bryin, you don’t even like to read. Why would you think I would?”
            “Nooo!” Bryin sighed, taking the book out of the box for Darvel. “It’s a special book I made just for you. At least look at it…”
            Darvel was about to reject Bryin’s gift altogether without a hesitation until he glanced at Katrina’s pleading eyes. With a sigh he grudgingly took the book and stared at it with a blank face.
            Etched on the cover was the title, Reasons Why I Love Darvel. The black leather was soft, and Darvel could obviously tell Bryin had put a lot of work into it. Opening it and flipping through to a random page, Darvel noticed that the whole book was one long numbered list.
            “23. I love Darvel because he’s just as stubborn as me.
            24. I love Darvel because he hasn’t killed me yet.
            25. I love Darvel because if you move past the fact that he’s being rude and mean, he’s really funny…”
            Without even glancing at the other pages, Darvel estimated that there had to be more than a hundred reasons that Bryin had thought of and written down… But why?
            “Really funny, Bryin,” Darvel said, standing up and shoving the book back to Bryin, “but I’ve got things that need to be done, and you need to leave. No one has time for your little games anyways.”
            Darvel spun Bryin towards the door and started pushing him into the hallway.
            “But, Darvel…” Katrina said, jumping up from her spot on his bed. “Y-you didn’t get to my part. ‘Cus I helped Bryin with the book, huh, Bryin?”
            Bryin grinned at Katrina and nodded.
            “Yep! Katrina was a big help, and the whole last part of it was her’s to you.”
            Darvel stopped, crossed his arms, and frowned as he looked between Katrina and Bryin. Then he rubbed his forehead with one hand and held the other one out to Bryin.
            “Just give it to me.” Darvel mumbled, shaking his head.
            Bryin gladly handed the book back to Darvel, still grinning widely.
            Darvel muttered something about Bryin wiping that stupid smile off of his face as he flipped back to the last few pages. But, as he read all of the things that Bryin had written down for Katrina, and saw all of the little drawings Katrina had done herself, he couldn’t keep the smile off of his own face.
            Looking back at the little girl, Darvel knelt in front of her and wrapped his arms around her.
            “Thank you, Katrina. I love it.”
            “You do?” Katrina asked, her big eyes looking at Darvel hopefully.
            “Of course I do, Katrina. I love it especially because it came from you.” Darvel gave Katrina a tight squeeze, and tilted his head as Katrina whispered something into his ear. Shaking his head he whispered something back with a frown. Katrina pulled away from him, crossed her arms, and gave him a disapproving look.
            Darvel stood up, not believing that a five year old was bossing him around, and he was possibly going to listen to her. Glancing back at the doorway, he sighed as he saw Bryin was still there.
            “And you’re still grinning idiotically too…” Darvel muttered under his breath.
            “What?” Bryin asked, casting a glance at Katrina. “What were you two talking about?”
            “Nothing, Bryin.” Darvel said, taking a step towards the door. “But, um…” Darvel cleared his throat uncomfortably and looked at the ground. “Thanks, for… Well, you know.”
            Bryin didn’t even wait for Darvel to finish before he tackled him in a hug.
            “I love you too, Darvel…” Bryin said, seeing a glimmer of hope for once that maybe he and Darvel could become friends.
            “I know.” Darvel replied, hugging Bryin back for the first time ever.

            Then he pushed Bryin out of the room and shut the door behind him.

No comments:

Post a Comment